Are you interested in getting some extra cash? Check out these hacks to make money and start putting money into your wallet today!
Do you need some extra cash? Check out one of these money-making hacks – little ways that you can fit in your life to make (and save) extra money.
What is a money hack? These are real ways to keep money in your budget – either by saving or making more money, many of them don’t require many changes to your current lifestyle!
Plus, you might be able to get some free things too!
Try one (or several!) of these ideas, whatever you can fit in your life right now.
Keep at it and you can earn some extra money with a little bit of effort.
(This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience which means if you make a purchase after clicking a link I will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.)
Online Hacks to Make Money
Let’s start by checking out these simple, online money-making hacks:
Hacks to Make Money through Emails
You can save money by signing up for emails. If you shop regularly at a particular store (like Safeway), then sign up for their email list and you will receive coupons and discount codes you can use during your regular grocery shopping trips.
Most stores also offer savings when you use the rewards cards, as well as other discounts (on gas purchases, etc.). For example, if you shop at Target, you can join Target Circle and earn rewards when shopping.
Hacks to Make Money Using CashBack Apps
There are a wide variety of cashback apps you can use to save money. Choose one that fits your shopping needs. Some require you to upload store receipts and for others you just need to use their browser extension.
Hacks to Make Money While You Shop
Here are some easy ways to save money while you shop online.
MyPoints – Sign up (and get a $10 bonus!) and earn points while shopping online. You will find the best deals and get cashback for select purchases. You can also receive browser alerts for opportunities and coupons. Points can be traded for gift cards or transferred to PayPal.
Rakuten – Shop at your favorite stores online (with the Rakuten app or browser extension) and earn cash back. Payments will be sent to your PayPal account. This is one of my favorites. VERY easy to use while shopping online.
ReceiptHog – Shop, take pictures of your receipt, and earn rewards. Payment via PayPal or gift cards.
Fetch Rewards – Earn points for shopping at any store and redeem them for gift cards.
P&G Good Everyday – Use receipts and take quizzes or surveys using P&G items and earn points you can redeem for rewards.
BeFrugal – Use the browser extension or app and earn cashback when you shop online. Payments through PayPal, Venmo, Zelle, etc.
Shopkick – Earn reward points and use them to get free gift cards.
TopCashBack – Make purchases and redeem for cash or a gift card.
Dosh – Use their app while shopping and get cash back.
Drop – Use their app, earn points while shopping, playing games, etc., and redeem for gift cards.
Tada – Set up an account, buy groceries, scan your receipt, and receive payouts via PayPal or gift cards.
ShopSavvy – Shop, compare and track prices, and get alerts on deals.
ReceiptPal – Submit receipts, earn points, and redeem for gift cards.
Coinout – Submit receipts and earn random rewards.
RebateKey – Shop here and get access to rebates for popular products.
Ibotta – Use the browser extension while shopping and upload receipts to earn cash back for normal grocery shopping.
Before you buy an item (especially an expensive one), make sure you comparison shop to look for deals and cheaper prices.
MaxRewards – Add all of your cards to this app and then the app will tell you which card to use for which purchase (to gain the most points and rewards). You can also see your reward activity and review your spending over time.
Honey – With the browser extension, honey will alert you to price changes and coupon codes for items while you shop. You can also set up Honey to watch out and alert you when an item goes on sale. This is one of my favorite apps – easy to use!
Capital One Shopping – Use this extension for the best coupons and prices, as well as alerts when an item goes on sale.
Surveys and Videos
If you enjoy taking surveys and watching videos, there are a lot of different opportunities for you!
Inbox Dollars – Sign up (and get a $5 bonus!) and then do online activities, such as playing games, checking out products, trying new apps, and completing paid surveys, and receive cash payments!
Hacks to Make Money Watching Videos
Inbox Dollars – Earn cash and gifts cards by watching videos or taking short surveys.
Swagbucks – Earn cash and gifts cards by watching videos or taking surveys (get a sign up bonus as well!)
Hacks to Make Money Taking Surveys
Although you won’t get rich by taking surveys, you can make a bit of cash by using one of these apps to take surveys and review products.
If you spend time on a bus in a commute or often stand in lines at the store, make good use of these moments by answering surveys and gaining points to redeem for gift cards or cash! You can even earn a sign up bonus or refer a friend for a bonus.
Each of the following apps and websites offer survey opportunities with various ways to redeem the points earned for cash or prizes.
Inbox Dollars – Earn cash.
PrizeRebel – Earn points and redeem for cash or gift cards.
Pinecone Research – Earn points and redeem for cash or other prizes.
Survey Junkie – Earn points and redeem them for PayPal payouts or gift cards.
MyPoints – Earn points by completing surveys (and also while shopping). Redeem for gift cards or PayPal transfers.
Toluna – Receive gift cards or cash.
Reward Survey – Receive magazine rewards.
OpinionInn – Earn cash.
Opinion Outpost – Take surveys, test new products, watch ads, give your opinion – earn gift card rewards or cash.
Swagbucks – Earn gifts cards and/or cash.
Shopper’s Voice – You will be entered into a drawing for a cash reward and can receive other rewards such as coupons, samples, etc.
Branded Surveys – You can earn points for answering surveys. After gaining 500 points, you can redeem out for cash or gift cards.
FeaturePoints – Earn gift cards.
Dscout – Answer questions and get paid via Paypal.
ZapSurveys – Take surveys, play games, shop – get paid via PayPal or gift cards.
QuickThoughts – Get paid in gift codes ($10 minimum to redeem).
Ysense – Earn cash.
Kashkick – Cash out at $10.
Did you know that you can play games and earn cash or prizes? For more information check out the sites below.
Hacks to Make Money Playing Online Games
Mistplay – Play new games, collect points, and redeem for rewards (gift cards or PayPal).
Boodle – Play games and earn coins to redeem for gift cards.
Blackout Bingo – You can win prizes and cash prizes (if available in your area).
Solitaire Cube – Participate in tournaments or head-to-head competitions. You can win cash prizes (if available in your area).
Hacks to Make Money with Refunds
Everyone wants to save money when they buy things! These apps are set up to look for better deals or coupons. Easy!
Earny – A shopping app – when you shop in this app and make a purchase, you can get cashback or refunds.
Capital One Shopping – Sign up and get notified about refunds for purchases.
Sift Wallet – Get price drop alerts, refund notifications, track your bills, and more!
Hacks to Make Money through Investing
Steady, regular investment is a great way to earn money for the long run. Check out the following apps/websites for more information:
- M1 Finance
- Acorns – Automatically invest your spare change or a portion of every paycheck.
For a simple overview on investing, check out my favorite book on investing: A Simple Path to Wealth by JL Collins.
Hacks to Make Money by Negotiating Bills
Most people just pay their bills and that’s it. Instead, you should regularly review all of your bills and look for any errors, overpayments, or recurring expenses that you can slash – for example, subscriptions you don’t you (or can replace with a cheaper option).
The following apps and websites help you analyze your spending and negotiate your bills to save money.
BillShark – BillShark helps people negotiate lower bills and cancel unused/unwanted subscriptions.
Trim – With Trim you can analyze your spending, negotiate bills, cancel subscriptions, etc.
Tally -This app can help you pay off credit card debt.
Truebill (Rocket Money) – Truebill tracks your subscriptions and spending, helps you save money on autopilot, and negotiate the best rate on bills.
Has someone given you a gift card that you will never use?
Do you want to buy gift cards for someone?
Here are ways you can save or make money through buying and selling gift cards:
Hacks to Make Money by Buying or Selling Gift Cards:
Raise – Earn up to 85% cash back selling unwanted gift cards here.
Prepaid2Cash – Receive money for prepaid cards and unused gift cards.
CardSell – Sell gift cards for cash.
Card Cash – Sell or trade gift cards.
ClipKard – Sell gift cards for cash.
You can make money by reviewing websites and offering your feedback.
User Testing – Evaluate websites, share your perspectives, and get paid for your time.
Online Side Hustles
Do you need extra cash on a monthly basis? Try one of these online side hustles!
Hacks to Make Money from Online Side Hustles:
Proofreader – Become a proofreader. Take a course with Knowadays.
Virtual Assistant – Find virtual assistant jobs through Virtual Vocations.
Transcription – If you have a good ear and are a great typist, you can try transcription. Take the Transcribe Anywhere course.
For more side hustle ideas, check out this article.
Related: Earn an Extra $1000 a Month
Other Online Hacks to Make Money
- Neilsen Computer & Mobile Panel – Install the software on your computer and receive rewards for your regular internet usage – there are monthly sweepstakes and other types of rewards.
- mobileXpression – Install the software on your phone and earn credits you can exchange for gift cards.
- Test out new products:
- Sell items in an online store:
- Lose weight:
- HealthyWage – Lose weight and win cash prizes.
Hacks to Make Money Selling Stuff You Don’t Need
Look through your belongings and sell any items that you don’t want or need anymore.
Here are some great websites where you can sell unwanted items:
- Decluttr (tech items)
- thredUP (clothes, accessories, etc.)
- Poshmark (clothes)
- Facebook Marketplace (nearly anything!)
- OfferUp (anything)
- Craigslist (anything)
- eBay (anything)
- Gazelle (used smartphones, tablets, etc.)
- SecondSale (books)
- Swappa (electronics)
Local Offline Hacks to Make Money
There are a lot of ways to make money in your local community. Try one of these:
If you like to shop and drive, you can become a delivery driver with one of these companies:
If you are in good health and qualify, you can donate plasma (and get paid for it)!
Try reselling items. You can shop around for items that you can flip. One great place to check for things to resell is the free section on Craigslist. You can clean up or fix items and then sell for a profit. Or shop at local thrift stores, swap meets, or garage sales and look for great deals.
Some items that you can resell:
- clothes (especially kids clothes – they grow fast!)
Rent Something Out
Can you rent out something you own for some extra money?
Here are some things that other people are looking to rent:
- room/house/location – (list a room or location on Airbnb)
- storage space on your property (for parking a car or RV, for example – offer a storage space on Neighbor)
- cars – list your cars with one of these companies: HyreCar, Turo, or Getaround
Advertise While Driving Your Car
Companies will pay you to put ads on the outside of your car to advertise while you drive your normal daily route.
Offer a Local Service
Do you have a skill or service you can offer to your local community?
- walk dogs or take care of pets (advertise on PetSitter.com or Rover)
- house sit for people on vacation
- wash or clean/vacuum cars
- move lawns, weed, or tend gardens
- painting or other house hacks
- clean or organize a room or house
- laundry (join a company like SudShare)
More Hacks to Make Money
- Open a new bank account – Many banks offer cash incentives (free money!) if you sign up for a new account (you often will need a large deposit to open the account.) Shop around for another bank to save on fees and look for a higher interest rate.
- Match your employer’s 401K contribution – This is free money! Contribute the maximum amount that your employer will match to your 401K to receive the full benefits.
Even More Money-Saving Hacks
- Switch providers – Shop around for better deals on cell phones (Republic, Mint Mobile, or Tello are cheaper options for cell service), insurance (house, car, health, etc.), bank accounts, clothing.
- Don’t pay for TV services or entertainment – Get free movies and look for free events published at your local library or read books and gain wisdom instead!
- Buy used – Check out local thrift shops or look for items on Craigslist or OfferUp.
- Trade or share items with friends or family – Swap or share used kids clothes, tools, toys, etc.
- Don’t eat out – Make and take lunch to work.
- Shop only with a list – You will avoid impulse purchases and save money by sticking to your shopping plan.
- Carpool to work or events – This is especially helpful during these crazy times with high gas prices.
- Reduce housing expenses – Downsize to a smaller home, move to a cheaper location, or rent out a room.
- Free stuff – Look for free stuff on Craigslist and either use it or fix it up and resell for cash.
- Buy Nothing – Join your local Buy Nothing community and give and receive free items – not only will you help your neighbors, but it’s also a great way to keep stuff out of landfills.
- Shop the last hour of garage sales – People are often getting rid of stuff for free or really cheap!
- Try a no-spend month – For one month only spend money on absolute necessities (food, rent, transportation to work, etc.)
- Ask for a raise – make more money by asking for a raise!
- Diet – modify your diet (cut out expensive foods, eat frugal meals, or practice intermittent fasting – with a doctor’s approval) (see The Complete Guide to Fasting by Dr. Jason Fung for more information about the benefits of fasting)
- Use a smart thermostat – to save energy (and money!)
- Pay off high interest credit cards first – save money in interest by paying off your debt with the highest interest first.
- Look for unclaimed money – If you are owed money that you haven’t collected, this is considered “unclaimed.” You can search for unclaimed money at these websites: www.usa.gov/unclaimed-money, missingmoney.com, unclaimed.org
- Listen to and rate music – Slice the Pie – Review music, clothing, and more and get paid for your reviews and ratings.
- Participate in user research – Earn money by becoming a user researcher: respondent.io
- Refinance loans or consolidate debt – You can save money with even just a small reduction in your interest rates.
- Meal plan – Save money by planning meals each week/month.
- Create printables or a course – You can sell printables on Etsy or use Teachable to create an online course.
- Publish an eBook -You can self-publish an eBook on Amazon Kindle.
- Fiverr – If you have any online skills to offer (bookkeeping, editing, graphic design, etc.), you can advertise your services on Fiverr.
- Create a budget – a simple way to analyze your personal spending and see where you can save money. Check out this simple budget tracker to get started!
- Collect loose change – gather your loose change into a jar and when it’s full deposit the amount in your bank account. (My sister filled a large jar with pennies and collected $50!)
Final Tips for Free Money Hacks
With a little ingenuity and some work you can use one of these money-making hacks to put more cash into your wallet! Instead of watching TV or wasting time scrolling social media, use that time to try one of these helpful hacks to make money.
What are some of your favorite money-making tips? What do you do to make some quick cash?