Do you want to get a mom a special gift? Try one of these amazing experience gifts for moms and really make her day!
When you need a gift for a mom and are not sure what to do, don’t opt for the usual knick-knacks or other items that will just clutter her life and home.
Try one of these amazing experience gifts – they are unique, special, and one-of-kind ideas to really brighten a mom’s day!
Any of these gifts would be a great option for:
- Mother’s Day
- Just to say “I love and appreciate you!”
Many experience gifts generally include one of these things:
- Gift card or gift certificate
- A day out (or “date”) for mom (or for the whole family to experience together)
- The opportunity for her to choose who to include in the experience (friends, family, or just herself!)
Why Choose an Experience Gift Instead of the Usual Kind of Gifts?
I think most moms don’t want extra stuff to clutter their homes (unless it’s something consumable, like chocolate or wine…)
Chances are she already has a bunch of cute mugs or scarves or special fuzzy socks. They are probably lost in a drawer or closet…
On the other hand, experience gifts last!
Researchers have found that experiences provided longer-lasting, dearer memories over time and taking time to share experiences with another person deepens our connection to them (and then we have stories to share in the future about these lovely experiences!).
Most moms want to simplify their lives – having more items in the home isn’t helpful.
Plus, as a single mom, I know that most of the time I opt to spend money on gifts or experiences for my kids instead of myself.
There are experiences that I would LOVE (like a massage) that I often say to myself, nah, I’ll use that money for my kids instead.
(This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience which means if you make a purchase after clicking a link I will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.)
Here are some wonderful experience gift ideas for moms with all kinds of interests:
Experience Gifts for Creative Moms
- Music lessons
- Dance lessons
- Photography lessons
- Floral (flower arranging) lesson
- Hand lettering class
- Gift card to a creative supply store (JoAnn, Michaels, Hobby Lobby)
- Paint Night Experience (I really want to do this one!)
- Instrument Lessons (plus the instrument) – (maybe she always wanted to take flute lessons and never had the opportunity?)
- Craftsy Membership – lots of crafting videos, classes, resources are available here!
Experience Gifts for Moms Who are Foodies
- Coffee subscription – Coffee Friend
- Date to try out a new restaurant
- Gift card to her favorite restaurant
- Cook her favorite meal
- Cooking Class(es) – try Sur La Table
- Fruit and Cheese Club
- Chocolate box
- Wine Tasting or Vineyard Tour
- Meal Kit (HelloFresh, BlueApron) (check if anyone in the family has food allergies).
Experience Gifts for Adventurous Moms
- Airbnb away for a weekend!
- A trip to another country!
- Zip Lining
- Helicopter ride
- Sky diving
- Escape room
- Theme park
Experience Gifts for the Mom Who Wants to Relax
- Mani Pedi Gift Certificate
- Massage Gift Certificate
- Spa day
- Spa supplies for a home spa day (face mask, plush bathrobe, bath bomb or salt, lotions, foot scrub, chocolate, candles)
- Cruise (talk about a great experience gift!)
- Meditation Subscription – (We have the Calm app and it has meditation and sleep stories – for both adults and kids!)
- Music Streaming Subscription – try one of these: Spotify, Amazon Music, YouTube
- Salon Gift Certificate
Experience Gifts for Culture-loving Moms
- Theater tickets (to a small local theater or for a big out-of-town experience!)
- Concert tickets
- Museum (art, history, cultural, etc.)
- Botanical gardens
Experience Gifts for Moms Who Want to Learn
- Classes (at a local college or online somewhere, like at Udemy)
- Second Language Classes – there are lots of options: Rosetta Stone, Babbel, DuoLingo
- Audible – (as a busy mom I know it’s hard to find time to read – Audible is great for listening to books on the go!)
- Magazine subscriptions
Experience Gifts for Active Moms
- Gym membership
- Exercise class (cycling, Zumba, Pilates, etc.)
- Hire a personal trainer
- Ballroom Dancing (or other dance classes)
Experience Gifts for Busy Moms
- House cleaning (Yes!)
- Babysitting (Yes!!)
- Food Kit/Preparation Subscriptions – (HelloFresh)
- Food delivery (Instacart or DoorDash)
- Help with tasks – like home repairs or other things she’s asked to have done around the house!
More Best Gifts for Busy Moms to Make Her Life Easier!
Experience Gifts for Any Mom
Here are some great gifts for any mom:
- Family Photos
- Special lunch date with you
- Gift card to her favorite store
- Having a game night! Here are some of our favorite games:
- Write a Book – Storyworth offers writing prompts and the ability to upload pictures to create a family heritage book
- Create a photo book – one way is through Shutterfly
- Give her something she really needs
- Put together a recipe book of favorite recipes
- Save all her favorite songs on a CD, called “Mom’s Playlist”
- Give her a day off (Yes!)
- Makeup/Beauty Products Subscription – Ipsy
- Seeds or Garden Kits – like this one
- eBook Subscription – Scribd, Amazon Prime
- A Gift Box Subscription:
- Wickbox – Luxury candles
- Faithbox – Christian subscription boxes
- Night In Box – Date Night boxes
Experience Gifts for Single Moms
As a single mom, I just can’t leave out this category. Being a single mom is TOUGH. For me, the top experience gifts that I would LOVE to receive are:
- Free babysitting – so I can: go to an appointment, do something fun for myself, or just be by myself!
- Family Photos – I LOVE getting photos with my girls every year, just so I can at least document how they are growing up!
- Gift cards to my favorite places to go or shop (even if it’s just to Fred Meyer for groceries!)
- Audible subscription – listening to audiobooks and podcasts helps me feel like I’m someone other than a just a mom and they give me intellectual stimulation. I LOVE reading, but don’t always have time to just sit down and pick up an actual book! Audiobooks let me “read” while I clean, do chores, or exercise!
- A day off from being a mom! (love love love this one!)
Best Gifts for Single Moms
Best Experience Gift Ideas for Mom to Share with Her Family
- Dine out
- Plant flowers together
- Breakfast in bed (Kids love helping serve mom!)
- A family vacation – a road trip to camp for the weekend or a longer trip to somewhere super fun!
- A day out to the:
- Botanical gardens
- Theme park
- Go geocaching
- Outdoor activities:
- Family sports
- Horseback riding
- Family Game Night or Family Movie Night (let her pick!)
- Volunteer together
- Attend a concert or play
Choosing an Appropriate Gift for Mom
Be sure to choose an experience gift that she will love! If you aren’t sure, you can ask her directly, ask her closest friends, or hint around and watch for her reaction.
Once my mom’s friend gifted her a massage – my mom didn’t want to use it or try it, but she did and hated it. Lesson – get her something she would really like!
Fun Yes Day! Ideas
No-Spend Weekend Ideas
Creative Experience Gifts for Kids
Final Thoughts on Experience Gifts for Moms
Next time you need a unique and thoughtful gift for mom, surprise her with one of these experience gifts! Which ones are your favorite? Would you add anything to this list?