My husband is from South India and a fantastic cook. (I’m so lucky!) He makes Indian cooking look so easy (and it really is – you just need to know what to do!). This chicken curry is very easy to make and popular in the place where he’s from. You don’t need any special cooking utensils – just a few spices that you can find at any Indian store or online.
(This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience which means if you make a purchase after clicking a link I will earn a small commission at NO extra cost to you! Click here to read my full disclosure policy.)
Easy Chicken Curry
- 2-3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 onion diced
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- 3 garlic pieces
- 1-inch piece of ginger root
- 2 potatoes – peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (more or less depending on desired spice level)
- 1 green chili diced
- 2 pounds chicken with bones – chopped into chunks
- fresh cilantro (for garnish)
- Heat coconut oil in a heavy bottomed pan on medium heat.
- Add onion and cook until it starts to become translucent.
- Add fennel seeds and stir and cook a bit.
- Peel ginger root and mash together with garlic pieces to form a paste.
- Add ginger/garlic paste to the pan and stir to combine.
- Add green chili and stir.
- Stir in tomatoes.
- Add coriander and chili powder and stir to combine.
- Add chicken pieces and mix well.
- Cook on medium heat for 15 minutes – stirring frequently.
- Add potatoes and cook another 10 minutes – stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat and garnish with cilantro.
- Serve with rice, chapatis, roti, idli, dosas.
You can eat this curry with plain rice or chapatis (sort of like an Indian tortilla). This curry also tastes delicious with dosas and idlis.
Related: Light, Fluffy Idli Recipe
Related: Simple, Delicious Dosa Recipe