- 1 cup fresh coconut chunks
- 1/2 cup roasted split chickpeas (fried gram)
- 1 spoon tamarind paste (or 1/2 inch piece of tamarind)
- salt to taste
- 1 green chili (or 1/2 Serrano pepper) (add more or less depending on your spice preference)
- 2 sprigs of cilantro
- water (just enough to grind the above into a thick paste)
Grind all of the above to make a thick paste.
Optional seasoning: In coconut oil, fry 2 spoons of chopped onion, 1/4 spoon mustard seeds, and 4 curry leaves. Fry until a little brown and add to the top of ground chutney.