Do you need some simple, inexpensive (mostly free!) ideas for entertaining your little ones during the fall season? Here are some budget-friendly fall activities that kids of all ages can enjoy!
Fall is such a fun time for little kids! The change to cool weather brings changes in nature – leaves fall, animals migrate, the air is cool and crisp. There are a lot of things to explore with little kids during fall. My daughters (ages 1.5 and 3.5) LOVE spending time outdoors no matter what the weather. Fall is a perfect opportunity to get them out and exploring nature and learning about the season change and enjoying the lovely smells and tastes of the season!
Visit a pumpkin patch
We have a lot of pumpkin patches in our area. There are so many free things to do at each place that you don’t even have to pay to have fun (unless you want to take home a pumpkin!). Check ahead to find out what activities are free (or cheap) and you can take your little kids to enjoy things like:
- a corn maze
- a petting zoo
- hay or tractor rides
Go for a hike!
Bundle your little ones up and go outdoors to spend some time in nature!
- Go on a nature hunt and gather leaves, twigs, pinecones for decorating your home.
- Take some food along to have a picnic at the end of your hike.
- Make a little list and have your kids search for some specific animals, bugs, and birds in your area.
- Wear some rain boots and go jumping in puddles. (A favorite with my girls!)
- Jump in a pile of leaves!
Cook up an easy fall dish
- Apple pie (or just some baked apples with cinnamon!)
- Pumpkin pie
- Squash soup
- Roasted pumpkin seeds
- Hot chocolate with marshmallows and popcorn (our favorite family snack!)
- Carve and decorate (or paint!) a pumpkin
- Leaf Rubbings
- Create a little nature scene in a cardboard box with pinecones, twigs, leaves, etc.
- Hang different colored leaves on your walls with tape
- Sensory bin – fill a small tub with lentils, rice, dried corn, acorns, pinecones, etc.
Go to local Fall festivals
- Local festivals held by churches or neighborhoods
Read books about Fall
- Free from the library!
- Talk about the changes in the seasons and how animals and people are affected
- Draw pictures of your discussions
Get ready for Christmas
- Prepare Christmas cards
- Help your kids write out their wish lists
- Take some fall family photos (that you can mail in your Christmas cards!)
You don’t have to spend a ton of money (and sometimes not even a dime) to enjoy the fall weather with your family. Little kids enjoy the simple parts of life and don’t need expensive activities or shows. These ideas are easy on the budget and fun for kids of all ages! I’d love to hear the fun activities that you have planned for your family.
Related: Christmas Gifts on a Budget